This year is a very busy year for anti-union bills in the FL Legislature. Next year is an election year so they are cramming a lot in this year. Some of them are “zombie” bills that show up each legislative session. Some are outright blatant in their attempt to undermine union power, collective bargaining, and the pension system in the state. We need all members to get involved.
Note: our parent union, United Faculty of Florida (UFF), is an issue-based, not party-affiliated union. They will work with both sides of the aisle to protect education interests and union interests in FL. Likewise, our legislators need to hear from union members regardless of their party affiliation (or no affiliation).
UFF has provided a 5 page PDF on the various anti-union legislation going through committees and coming to the floor. It is looking very bad for a number of them. Please review the PDF for details:
Here is a step-by-step PDF on how you can get involved by tracking bills and contacting your legislators:
More helpful information from UFF
- Find your legislator here: https://feaweb.org/issues-action/find-your-legislator/ (Links to an external site.) — As the above bills are scheduled, we will ask you to ask members to call legislators on the committees.
- FEA Legislative session updates: https://feaweb.org/issues-action/2021-legislative-session/ (Links to an external site.) — An excellent resource from our state affiliate, Florida Education Association
- UFF Legislative Fellows application: https://forms.gle/7nBkNRpkGfcKeMVf7 (Links to an external site.) — Open to any member, term to last throughout session, organizing will be around legislative session, building membership to meet the 50% threshold in HB 835. Applications due March 21.
- 2021 Virtual Working Families Lobby Corps signup: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Kxgff24iPlDn1VTJinze4gm_KEf-p1aINT9UgQvDEaw/ (Links to an external site.) — Through the AFL-CIO, members can sign up to help AFL-CIO, one of our affiliated unions, with its advocacy against union-busting and education-hobbling bills—this session’s work will be ENTIRELY VIRTUAL.
- Info on Virtual Working Families Lobby Corps: http://flaflcio.org/virtual-working-families-lobby-corps/ (Links to an external site.) — contains helpful information on the above program.