There is a lot going on in Higher Ed in Florida right now. Politicians are attacking our unions, academic freedom, intellectual freedom, tenure, DEI (diversity, equity, & inclusion), CRT (critical race theory), New College of Florida, all the while ignoring the real problems facing this state and its citizens and educators. Your unions are providing a bulwark against this unprovoked and unprecedented onslaught on public education and academic freedom.
United Faculty of Florida and Florida Education Association are staying on top of these issues and providing guidance to chapters and members. You should be receiving messages from our parent unions in your personal email (if you are not, please contact FUSA and let us know). There have been a lot of updates lately so we are compiling some of the recent important updates here in one place.
Get involved, get active, get motivated!
- Where we fit — this video explains where local chapters like FUSA fit in at the state and national unions
- UFF Recap of Fall 2022
- UFF Elections — open to all members! – nominations are due by Feb 6th, 2023
- Become an EdActivist
- UFF Faculty Senate Feb 18-19 (for elected UFF Senators)
- Contact us to get involved
Recent FEA & UFF Responses
- Read the FEA response to Governor Desantis’ attack on teacher unions (note he is not attacking other public sector unions)
- FEA President Andrew Spar’s video response
Our collective voice matters. It is powerful and it makes a difference. It isn’t always easy and it takes sustained effort but our solidarity produces results.
For a recent example, take UFF’s planned showing for public comment at the State Board of Governors meeting at FIU Jan 24-25 to protest changes to tenure. The planned public pressure campaign seems to have led the BOG to strike the tenure discussion from the agenda. To quote UFF President Andrew Gothard, “This is an incredible victory for our collective action campaign, and it shows that we have left our opposition reeling with the amount of public pressure we were able to exert in such a short window of time!”